Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Report on Nuclear Energy, by, Angie Lee

Here’s a riddle for you: ΔE = Δm.c² Get it? Neither do I. But thanks to Wikipedia, I am on my way to learning more about the clean air benefits of nuclear energy. Over eggs and tomatoes at Egg Works, my two friends and I tried to discuss the benefits of nuclear power and if it’s something desirable and great for the environment. This discussion began with: “I have no idea why it’s considered clean.” and “I have no idea what the heck nuclear power is!” And thus the beginning was the end. Then Manda changed the subject to “Drop Dead Diva.” Since that morning, Wiki taught me that nuclear energy is released when you split or merge the nuclei of atoms. Scientists use the fancy words fission and fusion. This energy is used to heat water to create steam to create electricity or propulsion. Which I think is like in submarines and stuff. This is considered clean because it’s carbon-free, and produces no air pollutants or greenhouse gases. So it’s great for the air, but it’s completely messing up the land. Each nuclear plant uses millions of gallons of fresh water daily, necessary for cooling all that heated fission. That water becomes contaminated and so does the glowing green rods portrayed in the opening sequence of Fox TV’s “The Simpsons.” So where does it go? Where do we put all that spent nuclear fuel? Here's a clue: not space.
The Environmental Protection Agency cheerfully tells us, “After 10,000 years of radioactive decay the spent nuclear fuel will no longer pose a threat to public health and safety.” Thank goodness! And don’t get me started on the solid waste. This is all I have time to report on. Be on the look out for part 2 of my riveting series “When Nuclei Attack” p.s. The above equation is ΔE = energy release, Δm = mass defect and c = the speed of light in a vacuum. Still don’t get it. I don’t think I’m smrt enough for nuclear energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment